Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Trying out some acid dyes

I could not resist, I just had to try it.... I had ordered some undyed yarn as well as some professional dyes. The yarn I used is extra fine merino, DK weight. It's not superwash, so I was being really careful with it. I used turquoise and I think it came out pretty nice. I wanted to try the graduated dyeing method and I learned a few things - although I had placed the whole skein in dye pot, the color did not set immediately, and later washed off completely, leaving the lightest part almost completely white. I kind of like it anyway. I think I should probably place the whole skein in microwave to set next time, as a lot of color came out in general. I was reading it is to be expected with this dyeing method, but still, maybe there is a way around it...
I have started a shawl with it, and I am sure I'll use both skeins for it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is such a beautiful blue color, please show us the finished shawl!

    That is neat that you did the dying yourself, I would be interested in trying that sometime.

    ReplyDelete